Sunday, March 14, 2010

Home made mac n cheese (almost)

I love mac and cheese but thought it needed some work so I made a recipe that makes my heart pitter patter.

1 box Kraft macaroni and cheese (I usually buy generic everything but I have found in mac and cheese it is worth it to buy the real thing.)

1/4-1/2 lb. bacon

1/2 to 1 C. Shredded cheese. (I like cheddar or colby jack, whatever you please.)

Chop bacon onto small pieces and cook in frying pan on med. high heat.  While the bacon is cooking get your water boiling, add a little salt and oil to the water, turn heat to high.  Once the water has reached a full boil add macaroni and turn heat to med. high.  Cook for 6 minutes, then strain.  (I like my pasta al dente, meaning it is not quite all the way cooked when you add your sauce it finishes cooking it.)  Melt 4 tbsps. butter in the microwave or on the stove, add the milk then the cheese sauce the mac and cheese comes with.  Mix well then melt in the shredded cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste and add bacon. Pour mixture over your noodles and mix well.  Enjoy!

*A variation I like adds hot sauce to the cheese mix, gives it a bit of a bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment